One pair bought and converted Church into Home in Kyloe Northumberland

Filed under : Featured Articles

church-home-northumberland

One couple bought a historical church in Kyloe, Northumberland. They invested a lot of money to maintain its exterior and interior. The exterior remains almost intact. They made a restoration, instead of a renovation (which would be 3 times cheaper). If it were not for them, who knows what would have happened to this church as it was in a poor condition. The couple however readapted the interior to give it a home atmosphere.

59 Responses to “One pair bought and converted Church into Home in Kyloe Northumberland”

1. Margaret says:

I hope they wrote down the names in the cemetery and put on line. This is just about the coolest thing I know of. How could a church organization let such history slip through their hands. Thank you for saving the church.

2. Janet Hinton says:

Wow! Beautiful. Sleeping in the apse and dining in the nave! I would never leave.

3. Charles Manchester says:

I’m almost dreading making this post because of negative feedback, but here it goes….

I think the work done was absolutely grand. I very much like the open look since it left many of the original church spaces as they were. I would probably do something similar if I had the chance to save a grand old structure and grounds like those. Too much history is torn down regardless of what the old structures where. I had no idea folk had been doing interesting projects like this with old churches. I believe if there is truly any higher power out there, they were probably very pleased good use is still coming of something that pious and reverent people, no matter WHAT religion, used hard earned funds and back breaking labor to build for worship.

I know people are buried all over the place in marked and unmarked places, but I was very curious if the bodies from the cemetery were moved elsewhere? I know it is going to sound extremely silly to most everybody, but I have had a few …well….unexplained things happen over several years in old buildings and old, previously occupied very old plots of land. I don’t know if I believe in ghosts and all that, but with a few instances I’ve been left scratching my head and a bit shook up. Those previous instances would keep me a tad cautious and nervous about occupying a wonderful structure like that overnight and for extended periods.

Any takers on this knowledge? I do plan on submitting an e-mail to the previously given address, but I sort of think that might have been the selling people or some such.

Best Regards and Best Wishes to all of you utilizing these great, historic buildings and properties!
    -Charles Manchester

4. Anika says:

That house is beautiful and I LOVE the graveyard! No matter how strange that sounds. Contrary to what Mr. Manchester mentioned about the dead bodies and the land possibly being haunted, spirits would probably be more likely residing somewhere where they were once very alive or had died. I think that that is reason graveyards often feel very “dead”, no one had actually died there and it actually was a place of rest. I don’t personally believe in ghosts, but I DO believe in energy. If the energy had been negative, there might still be someone around. That looks like it was a beautiful church and I’m sure that more good times than bad were had in there.

I’m so truly envious of the graveyard! It seems like such a nice place to sit and have some tea.

Bravo to this!

5. Lisa Byars says:

beautiful! I even love the graveyard!

6. John Engel says:

Beautiful and selfish. An old building like that deserves to be saved but not for the exclusive use of 2 people living in it.

7. Shelle says:

Why is it more selfish for it to be enjoyed by two people versus two thousand, or two million? You can assign moral value if you like, but this couple’s motives for restoring this building are no more selfish than anyone else’s motives for restoring a building. Anything motivated by enjoyment is selfish; quit being so negative.

8. Braxton Williams says:

It’s a dream to save a church like this, as the old churches were built with great care and tremendous craftsmanship. There are several great old churches for sale around the world, they need to be saved, and would make great Mansions!

9. andrew dunbar says:

hi ivepurchased a grade 2 listed church with a church yard whats still in use, i put all my saving into buying the church but now ive lost my job , is there any funding which could help me the church is in N Wales